Peppadews are one of my favourite ingredients on pizza (including bacon and feta). So, I wanted to try my hand at making my own peppadew preserve for those occasions where I absolutely crave a few slices of lovely semi-hot peppadew on cream cheese potato pockets or on a home made pizza.
This is a recipe that I sourced online at The Complete Cook Book. Please note that I adjusted the recipe slightly as per my taste. I recommend that you do with a cooking recipe what you want as it is only a guideline. Adjust according to your taste. If you do not like an ingredient, leave it out. If you want to add something special that would complement it, just do it. If you want to chop the peppadews fine and add a lot of chillies, go ahead. The world is your peppadew! I added a few chillies home grown from my herb garden.
The measurements are not specified as it will depend on the quantity of peppadews or chillies you are using, but a good guide line would be for every 2 cups of Peppadews use 2.5 cups of vinegar, use 2.5 cups water and 2 cups sugar.
- Pepperbel chilies
- Coarse salt
- White vinegar
- White sugar
- Your favorite chilles! (home grown, in my case)
- Halve and seed (I kept a few seeds) the pepperbel chilies and lay out on a tray and cover with salt. Let them stand overnight. The pepperbel chilies and set aside to drain in a colander.
- Heat the vinegar, water and sugar in a pot, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While boiling the liquid sterilise bottles and lids in another pot or pour a little water into each bottle and lid and boil in the microwave and pour the water out (do be careful).
- Fill each hot bottle with the peppadews (a few finely chopped chillies with seeds, that will make the preserve mildly hot) and compact them down.
- Fill each bottle with the pickling liquid until full and press down the peppadews a little more then top up with additional liquid if required.
- Seal and store. (Will keep well stored in sealed in a cool dark place. Refrigerate after opening.)