One of my favourite brain foods to have for dinner is fish and chips. According to me and a few others, I make pretty delicious sliced potato fries – roundly sliced – crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Yum!
Having this often, I thought I should share my own recipe, even though it changes constantly through using whatever I have in the kitchen. This recipe is what I used for this specific dish.
Garlic Butter Hake and Chips
Serves 2. Takes 30 mins.
- 300g Hake Fillets
- 2 Large Potatoes
- 20g Garlic Clove
- 100g Butter
- 100ml Sunflower Oil
- 4-5 Slices of peppadew (read this preciously preserved peppadew recipe)
- Mixed Italian Herb
- BBQ Spice
Method for Hake with Garlic and Butter Sauce
- Start with chopping your garlic into – not too small – pieces. This will leave juice to soak into your lovely hake.
- Place your 100g of butter into your frying pan. Heat until almost melted.
- Then place your hake fillets in the hot pan. Close with a lid to start cooking the hake for +- 3 minutes.
- Slice up your peppadews. Spread the garlic evenly over the hake. Sprinkle some Italian herbs over the hake and garlic. Be sure not to flip the hake, so reduce heat to medium to cook evenly.
- Add the peppadew to the hake and cover with lid. Let it simmer for 10 mins.
- Remove from stove and serve with fresh potato chips.
Method for Fresh Potato Chips
- Rinse potatoes and chop into 5mm slices. I leave the skin on.
- Prepare a large pan for frying the potato chips by pouring 100ml sunflower oil into the pan. Heat up the pan and add the raw potato slices. Cover with lid.
- After about 4 mins you add the BBQ spices and flip them over gently.
- Add more spice and herbs if needed. Add salt to taste. Cover for an additional 5 minutes and repeat step if not yet cooked.
- Once cooked and golden brown. Place the chips on a plate with kitchen paper towels, serve and enjoy.